Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Peas Planted!














I planted the peas this afternoon. Seemed like they were getting big and the roots were busting out of the peat pods. It was time.

I have to say I really don't like planting through the cover. I wound up cutting a big slash in the back and put
 in my row. Then I taped the cover closed between shoots with electrical tape. Even still I broke one of the shoots, felt terrible, we'll see what happens.

After I planted I added water by snaking the hose under the cover to make sure that there weren't any gaps. I also filled the reservoir and I was amazed by how much water it took before it started coming out the overflow hole. I'm going to start checking it every other day.
I have about 6 good extra snap pea shoots that I couldn't stuff into my container, I'm leaving room for Oakleaf and Arugulas. Going to see if the neighbors want them. If you want some let me know, going fast!

The Shiso is BARELY sprouting, I have about three sprouts coming up, they are the size of a pair of sesame seeds. Don't know if this is normal, or whether the seeds were maybe older? I could see peas and lettuces being more popular, so maybe these are older?

Starting to 'harden' the rest of the sprouting plants by bringing them outside during the day, but I think I need to wait for first 'true leaves' before they spend the night outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment