Friday, March 6, 2009

My Earthbox begins...

Frustrated by my recent unemployment, and lack of a 'back yard' I decided to try growing my own vegetables anyway in the small alley entrance to our little rented house in San Francisco.

I found reference to a blog in Sunset Magazine, victoryhomegarden.blogspot.com. The first blog I really sought out and read, thank you Sunset and thank you Adriana. I read every entry and decided it was time.

Casually grocery shopping at Whole Foods (yeah, I know I'm crazy to be shopping there while unemployed, but they have my sons diapers of choice, and delicious everything), I happened to see a seed display and noticed that it was one of Adriana's top choice brands. I chose things I thought would grow well in my shady alley: Arugula, Wild Arugula, Oakleaf lettuces, Snap Peas and Shiso (that yummy sushi greenery).

Then I happened to be accompanying my dear friend P, on a trip to Borders. While there I purchased Incredible Vegetables from Self-Watering Containers by Edward Smith. Read it cover to cover (well mostly) that night.

The author of course is trying to sell you his sponsorship self-watering containers available at Gardener's. I didn't want to pay for shipping, or wait an additional minute, so the next day I went to Sloat Nursery. 

I purchased the Earthbox (a self-watering growing kit), some organic soil, and some small Mesclun plants (in case my seeds didn't pop up.) I brought it home and realized that the fertilizer in the Earthbox kit wasn't organic. Since I bought organic soil, and planned to feed the veggies to my son I decided to go back the next day and get organic fertilizer. I also bought copper tape to fence off the slugs and snails and a germinating tray with pods. 

This wound up being a REALLY great decision, because it's working! I've never successfully grown things from seeds, so this is an encouraging start!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind words. I'm sure your garden will be spectacular.

    Ps, I'll shop at Whole Foods with $40.00 in my checking account if I have to. I buy whatever is on sale. =)

    ReplyDelete