Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What's working, what's not

It's been about a month since my last entry. As was expected some things are going well, others not so well.

The peas are going gang busters. Both the EarthBox peas and the standard container peas. Will need to read up on what's supposed to happen next...

The lettuces from the six packs continue to produce large amounts of very delicious greens. I've harvested twice, about the equivalent of six side salads.  On my most recent harvest I took out enough for four large side salads, easily. I think I will start to harvest once a week now. 

Some of the greens have started to produce flowers, but as you can see in my earlier blog, cutting them is the key to continued output.

Sadly my germinated seeds are not working well since transplanted. I have lost about two thirds of transplants and those that remain are not growing fast at all. I think a couple of forces have contributed to this. 

1. I put way too many seeds per germinating pod, meaning that the sprouts were competing with each other for space and water.
2. I brought them out to harden before the first set of real leaves began to show.
3. The roots didn't show signs of busting out of the germinating pods when I planted them, so maybe I should have removed the outer sacks before planting
4. They are planted almost on top of the pea plants which had a good start on them in terms of root base. Maybe the peas are taking all the good stuff?

I will leave them be and see what happens, but I think I'm just pushing the limits a little too far on the EarthBox.


No comments:

Post a Comment